ENVIRONMENTAL AND SOCIAL COMMITMENT PLAN (ESCP)
The Republic of Djibouti (the Recipient) shall implement the Djibouti-Addis Road Corridor Project (the Project), for which it has requested a Project Preparation Advance (PPA), with the involvement of the Ministry of Equipment and Transport through the Djibouti Roads Agency (ADR or IU). The International Development Association (the “World Bank”) has agreed to provide the PPA to support preparation of the Project.
2. The Recipient shall implement the PPA activities in accordance with the Environmental and Social Standards (ESSs). To this end, this Environmental and Social Commitment Plan (ESCP) sets out material measures and actions to be carried out or caused to be carried out by the Recipient, including the timeframes of the actions and measures, institutional, staffing, training, monitoring and reporting arrangements, grievance mechanism arrangements and the environmental and social instruments to be prepared or updated, consulted, disclosed or re-disclosed, adopted and implemented, all in a manner acceptable to the Association.
3. The Recipient is responsible for compliance with all requirements of the ESCP, even when implementation of certain measures and actions are carried out by the ministry, unit or public agency mentioned in paragraph 1 above.
4. The implementation of the material measures and actions defined in this ESCP shall be reported periodically to the World Bank by the Recipient in accordance with the provisions of this ESCP and the conditions of the Advance Agreement. The World Bank shall monitor and evaluate the progress and implementation of these material measures and actions throughout the PPA Implementation period.
5. As agreed by the World Bank and the Recipient, this ESCP may be revised from time to time during the PPA implementation , in a manner that reflects the adaptive management of PPA changes or unforeseen situations that may arise during PPA implementation, or in response to an evaluation of PPA performance under the ESCP itself. In such situations, the Recipient shall agree with the World Bank on such changes and update the ESCP accordingly. Agreement on the changes to the ESCP shall be documented through an exchange of letters signed between the World Bank and the Recipient. The Recipient shall promptly disclose the updated ESCP.
6. Where PPA changes, unforeseen circumstances, or PPA performance result in changes to the risks and impacts during PPA implementation, the Recipient shall provide additional funds if needed, to implement actions and measures to address such risks and impacts.